The Musicians Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROLLING ON THE RIVER

Go down

ROLLING ON THE RIVER Empty ROLLING ON THE RIVER

Post by Admin Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:45 pm

By Ronnie Plaisance

Here is another gig from heck story for you.

Our big 8 piece horn band was excited to play on the President, which was a large paddle wheel boat at the south end of Canal St in New Orleans.

After fighting traffic, unloading and parking, we were finally set up to play for a prom on a two tier stage. We finished soundcheck and we ready to experience a night on the river. The private high school kids arrived and the boat captain made the announcement that we were leaving port. Which was our cue to begin with the first song.

As we started with a Chicago cover tune, the boat began its departure.

The boat rocked back and forth to safely leave the landing. This caused a shuffling of bodies and instruments. I caught my B3 organ and stood it back in position just in the nick of time. Then I heard the amps fall forward and the horn players were thrown off the lower tier onto the dance floor.

As I looked over to the drummer, he was frozen with his sticks in the air. His drums were rolling clear across the floor from the second tier of the stage.

After standing everything back up and reassembling the drum kit we continued the gig. We did laugh about it later, but it wasn’t too funny as it happened.

I can never forget the drummer, just holding his sticks in playing position staring straight ahead in disbelief, as his drums rolled across the floor.

True story!!!

Admin
Admin

https://instrumentalplayers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum