The Musicians Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gig Mishaps

2 posters

Go down

Gig Mishaps Empty Gig Mishaps

Post by Denny Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:29 pm

Far context, I am a bass player and have been since 1969. Before every gig I have played I have ever played I checked my tuning. Usually only having to make minor corrections on a string or two. I was playing my G & L 1000 that I have had since the mid 80s. Since the mid 70s I have also used a wireless for my guitar (I hate having wires around my feet, I can be a bit clumsy.).

I had just joined a 9-piece horn band and it was my first gig with them. We were playing a church fair under a tent. If any of you are from South Louisiana, then you know playing outside there is always a chance of rain. The drummer and I were driving into New Orleans and it was pouring down. We arrived at the job site during a brief stop of the rain and quickly got our gear under the tent. We both set up our equipment, the drummer taking twice as long, because that's what drummers do.

We had taken the stage and were about to start playing and I then found out that my wireless wasn't working. Of course I always have a cord in my guitar case, so we only lost a minute or so getting me re-connected. Our first number was Sam & Dave's Hold On. On that 1st note I realized that I had not checked my tuning an was a half step off. (I had played a pick up gig the night before and the guitarist insisted on detuning a half step. Before when I've played with him I'd would just play a half step but keep my standard tuning. Well this I did what he asked.

Luckily I realized a second or two into the song I was a half step lower than everyone else and played the song a half step higher on my neck. First and only time I hadn't checked my tuning before playing. I turned on my tuner and started to quicky tune my bass, just to find out the darn thing wasn't working. So I quickly tuned to the piano player.

The rest of the job went pretty good, considering the weather.

Turns out the humidity was messing up my tuner, so I went out and bought a new tuner (the kind to clip unto your head stock).

Anyone else have any mishaps, equipment failure during a gig?

Denny

Back to top Go down

Gig Mishaps Empty Re: Gig Mishaps

Post by Admin Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:07 pm

An Interesting Weekend

After being picked up by the band bus in Cut Off with the band "Debby and the Ladds" for a weekend with 3 gigs to play, I could have never imagined the disasters we had in store.

1st Gig

We met in Raceland at Potts Record Store to pick up the rest of the band members. Off we went to Galveston for our first gig of the weekend at the Bamboo Hut.

The weather was getting uglier the closer we got to Texas. We had timed it so we could ride the vehicle ferry at a certain time. We were pushing the limits to get there on time.

Upon arriving we drove up on the ferry in pouring rain and high winds. The ferry operators made us get out of the bus and go inside for protection from the hurricane that was approaching Galveston. After nearly flipping the top heavy bus into the gulf, we decided to continue to the club only to find it was closed for the storm. Everything was closed and boarded up. This was before internet and social media. We had no idea about the hurricane. So that was gig one.

We pooled our money together and bought bologna and bread.

2nd Gig

Now on to gig 2, which was in Opelousas la. No one had brought much money because with 3 gigs, we weren’t worried about eating or lodging. We slept on the bus, ate bologna and pressed on to Louisiana.

As we arrived we noticed a wreath on the front door. The club owner had died during the night. Well after buying crackers, we slept again on the bus and finished the bologna.

3rd Gig

The next day the gig was in Lafayette la. We left Opelousas after around 3 pm after jumping a fence at a hotel and got cleaned up in their pool. As we barely got into Lafayette, we got pulled over by 6 or 7 police cars with officers pointing guns at us. We had no idea that because of racial strife, a curfew was in affect and we were breaking curfew. They let us go after an explanation.

We headed back to Raceland, tired, hungry, and broke.

Absolutely true story!!!

by Ronnie Plaisance

Admin
Admin

https://instrumentalplayers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:30 pm

The Truck was More Than Meets the Eye

Had several folks ask for more band stories.  

Here is one I didn’t think was funny at all.

The horn band Stone from Houma got a late booking for a week at a club in Alabama. As we pulled up to the club, it began snowing pretty heavily. Unloading in the snow was a new experience for us obviously, and it was especially dark unloading from the front of the club.

We attributed the darkness due to the snow falling. Part of the neon sign wasn’t working as well. But we managed the best we could, and it was kinda fun hauling gear in the snow.

After set up and sound check, the owners came to greet us and told us how grateful they were to come on such short notice. Then they proceeded to explain the happenings of the last band the week before. There had been a gunfight taking out part of the neon sign, and killing the drummer on stage. There were bullet holes all over the back wall of the stage. We were petrified! We played later that night we were relived to perform without incident.

The second night, after meeting a nice country girl, she asked if she could take me to dinner before the next show the following night. I of course agreed.

When she arrived in an old pickup truck, I wasn’t really surprised.  It had already begun to get dark as we headed out to eat. I felt what I thought was a breeze on my ankles and lower legs, but just blew it off. After all it was an old truck. The pressure on my legs was getting tighter and tighter, but it was dark and I could not see anything.

We get to the restaurant and she opens the door, interior light comes and I could see a giant yellow boa constrictor around both my legs. I couldn’t move. As she came over to my side and unwind the snake from my legs, she said oh I forgot he was in here. It was her pet. After I regained my composure, I was able to open my door and get out, I was so relieved, as I’m not a big fan of these creatures.

After dinner I climbed back in my seat and put my legs on the dash all the way back to the motel where the band was staying.  The boa, thank God, stayed under the seat. I was never so happy to get away from that girl and that snake.

We finished our week without any problems and headed back to Houma a little wiser.

By Ronnie Plaisance

Admin
Admin

https://instrumentalplayers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum